[petsc-users] implementation of multi-level grid in petsc

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 14:03:53 CDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM, Roc Wang <pengxwang at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     I am working on multi-level grid for Poisson equation.  I need to
> refine some sub-region in the computational domain. To this, I plan to
> build  some boxes (patches) based on the coarsest level. I am using DM to
> manage the data. I found there is a new function DMPatachCreate() in the
> version 3.4.  Is this function the right one I should use for the refined
> region?  If it is not, which ones I should use?

That is an experiment and does not work.

>     My proposed approach is to start with  code
> dm/impls/patch/examples/tests/ex1.c. And then follow the code
> /dm/examples/tutorials/ex65dm.c. Is this approach the right way to my goal?
>
>     In addition, I need to use not only the nodes but also the cells
> including nodes.  Should I use DMMesh to create the cells? I noticed DMMesh
> is mainly for unstructured grid, but I didn't find other class that
> implements structured cells.  Can anybody give me some suggestions on
> multi-level grid or let me know which examples I should start with? Thanks.

No, that is not appropriate.

It sounds like you want structured AMR. PETSc does not do this, and there
are packages that do it.:

a) Chombo

b) SAMRAI

which are both patch-based AMR. If you want octree-style AMR you could use
p4est, but it would mean
a lot of coding along the lines of http://arxiv.org/abs/1308.1472, or
Deal.II which is a complete package.
I think Deal is the closest to using PETSc solvers.