[petsc-users] implementation of multi-level grid in petsc

Roc Wang pengxwang at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 8 13:29:03 CDT 2013

Hi,

    I am working on multi-level grid for Poisson equation.  I need to refine some sub-region in the computational domain. To this, I plan to build  some boxes (patches) based on the coarsest level. I am using DM to manage the data. I found there is a new function DMPatachCreate() in the version 3.4.  Is this function the right one I should use for the refined region?  If it is not, which ones I should use?

    My proposed approach is to start with  code dm/impls/patch/examples/tests/ex1.c. And then follow the code /dm/examples/tutorials/ex65dm.c. Is this approach the right way to my goal?

    In addition, I need to use not only the nodes but also the cells including nodes.  Should I use DMMesh to create the cells? I noticed DMMesh is mainly for unstructured grid, but I didn't find other class that implements structured cells.  Can anybody give me some suggestions on multi-level grid or let me know which examples I should start with? Thanks.