[petsc-users] PCKSP

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 13:16:45 CDT 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Margarita Satraki <
margarita.satraki at gmail.com> wrote:

> For my problem (incompressible nonlinear elasticity) pcksp seemed to work
> ok with gmres and even better with fgmres.
> The best option was to use LU as PC but this requires a lot of memory.

You can just use

  -ksp_type preonly
  -pc_type lu

to get a direct solution. Its not clear why you would want PCKSP.

> Why do you think that would not be a good option?

Incompressible elasticity has a constraint, so it is a saddle point system.
We would recommend using
PC_FIELDSPLIT, splitting into blocks for the displacement and pressure. You
can do this automatically
using -pc_fieldsplit_detect_saddle_point.

We would also proba bly recommend using AMG (ML, or GAMG, etc.) for the
elastic block. You have to provide
the near null modes (6 rot+trans), but there are examples of this from Mark
Adams and me.

    Matt