MPIBAIJ and sor

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Oct 27 16:04:24 CDT 2009

    I completely forgot about the MatPBRelax_ routines.

    MatRelax() which is used by PCSOR automatically tries
MatRelax_xxx() for the matrix and then MatPBRelax_xxx()  if the
MatRelax_xxx() does not exist.

    MatRelax_MPIAIJ() (and MatRelax_MPISBAIJ()) handles the block
Jacobi and relax on each block automatically and allows for any number
of local smoothing before updating the ghost points.

    If you need MatPBRelax_SeqBAIJ_N() for N > 7 that is very easily
added by taking the 7 case and extending it.

    Barry

   This discussion brings up a few issues

1) having the MatRelax() and MatPBRelax() both is a bit confusing. As
Jed points out it is possible to write a MatRelax() for BAIJ, but that
is almost always silly since essentially the same number
      of floating point operations gives you the better point block
relaxation. I originally thought we might support all point-block and
point relaxation for all matrix types and hence have both the
      MatRelax() and MatPBRelax(). Perhaps that was unneededly general
and we should merge them. Then I wouldn't have searched for
MatRelax_SeqBAIJ and given you the wrong answer initially.

  2) Using SOR as the name of the preconditioner but relax as the name
of the matrix operation is questionable. Better to use the same name
everywhere?

  3) One could very easily modify the MatRelax_MPIAIJ() to get a
MatRelax_MPIBAIJ() and we should do that (and test it). But as Jed
points out it is redundant (as is MatRelax_MPIAIJ()).