Multiple communicators

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 24 22:50:02 CST 2009

On Nov 24, 2009, at 7:13 PM, irfan.khan at gatech.edu wrote:

> I use seperete communicators for fluid and solid ranks in a fluid-
> structure interaction code. I use PETSc tools (KSP) to solve for the
> solid phase (FEA) which is carried out under a different
> communicator (FEA_Comm).
>
> Unless I am doing something wrong, I have found that the command
> line options: -ksp_type; -mat_partitioning_type, don't work if there
> are 2 communicators.

    Are you sure that they don't work? Or is it just printing the
message?

WARNING! There are options you set that were not used!
WARNING! could be spelling mistake, etc!
Option left: name:-ksp_type value: cg
Option left: name:-mat_partitioning_type value: parmetis

    Any option that is not accessed on PROCESS ZERO will be listed
here as unused, even if it may be used on some process.  I suppose we
could/should fix this by adding some complicated communication that
determines just the options that are never used. I never liked this
warning, only added it after pressure from people who couldn't type.

> But for single communicator they work. Please see the attached files
> containing output of -log_summary for 2 different codes (scroll down
> to the end). One with single communicator and the other with two
> communicators. Both the output have been generated with the same
> PETSc compilation.
>
> Futher -log_summary results are not able to detect all the events
> that have been registered if they are not in the WORLD communicator.

    Is your concern here that it does not print the name of the event,
it leaves the name blank? If so this is likely the type of problem as
the print of options; we don't have a mechanism to get them to process
0 to print.

    In summary, yes these are some weaknesses of PETSc. If you switch
the two communicators you create and use the one that has process 0 of
MPI_COMM_WORLD for the PETSc stuff then it will look nicer and hide
these two problems.

    Barry