linear solver for complex matrix

zhifeng sheng z.sheng at ewi.tudelft.nl
Mon Oct 27 10:11:37 CDT 2008

Dear all

It looks like something strange is going on for my Petsc (which was
built with '--with-scalar-type=complex'.):

1) I got a complex system of equation, with I can solve with CG+SOR .
But when I try to use BICGS+SOR to solve it, it never converges.

2) I noticed that the transpose function for complex matrices was not
what I was looking for. It really computes the transpose instead of the
conjugate transpose which is the "right transpose" for complex matrix.

For some linear solvers, e.g. BICG, BCGS, need to compute the transpose
of real system matrix (to multiply it with a vector),  while they need
to compute the conjugate transpose for complex system matrices.

So I am wondering whether BICGS+SOR did not converge for my complex
matrix because of a bad A^Tx used internally in these linear solvers.
Such problem does not exist for CG+SOR, therefore, CG+SOR converged.

PS: I sent some emails about this problem before, but I guess I did not
make myself clear :o

Thanks a lot
Best regards
Zhifeng Sheng