linear solver for complex matrix

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 27 11:20:52 CDT 2008

    The PETSc MatMultTranspose(), as you state, does not use conjugate
transpose, thus the Krylov methods that
require a conjugate transpose will not work. Unless you change the
MatMultTranpose() routine.
In addition, these algorithms use VecDot(), with the complex
conjugate transpose the order of the arguments to this function
matter (determining which one is conjugated). The coding for these
methods was NOT done to use the proper conjugation
(many of the original references do not include this information).  In
other words PETSc DOES NOT support
complex conjugate for most of the Krylov methods, I think we already
said this before.

    If your matrix is complex hermitian why not just use CG, why would
you want to use a different Krylov method?

    Barry