linear solver for complex matrix

Hong Zhang hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Oct 27 09:03:37 CDT 2008

Zhifeng,

Petsc's linear solvers, including
the external packages (e.g., superlu, mumps, and spooles)
all support complex precision,
simply configure petsc library with
'--with-scalar-type=complex'.

> How can I make the other linear solvers work for complex system? I think if
> only I can make the transpose function a little different then they should
> work. but I don't know where I should start.
>
> Did anyone have similar problem with the linear solvers for complex system
> before (the linear solver for complex system needs conjugate transpose)? and
> how could you solve it?

Why do you need conjugate transpose for using petsc solver?
Do you develop your onw solver for Hermitian matrix?
We do not have some basic matrix operations for Hermitian matrix yet,
e.g., MatMult_Hermitian() when only half of the matrix entries
are stored. You need implement this operation for your onw
solver.

If you use petsc AIJ matrix format, all complex linear solvers
should work. Storing half of entries is not as efficient
as entire matrix when you have sufficient memory space.

Hong