DA question

Amit.Itagi at seagate.com Amit.Itagi at seagate.com
Wed Apr 9 16:06:18 CDT 2008

Randy,

I guess, since you are doing a frequency domain calculation, you eventually
end up with a single matrix equation.

I am planning to work in the time domain. Will that change things ?

Thanks

Rgds,
Amit

             Randall Mackie
             <rlmackie862 at gmai
             l.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  petsc-users at mcs.anl.gov
             owner-petsc-users                                          cc
             @mcs.anl.gov
             No Phone Info                                         Subject
             Available                 Re: DA question

             04/09/2008 04:09
             PM

             Please respond to
             petsc-users at mcs.a
                  nl.gov

Hi Amit,

Why do you need two staggered grids? I do EM finite difference frequency
domain modeling on a staggered grid using just one DA. Works perfectly
fine.
There are some grid points that are not used, but you just set them to zero
and put a 1 on the diagonal of the coefficient matrix.

Randy

Amit.Itagi at seagate.com wrote:
> Hi Berend,
>
> A detailed explanation of the finite difference scheme is given here :
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finite-difference_time-domain_method
>

> Thanks
>
> Rgds,
> Amit