[PETSC #16696] Binary dump of SNES residuals

Barry Smith petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Sep 10 15:38:39 CDT 2007

> I can certainly use  SNESMonitorSet with a custom monitor that sets up a
> binary viewer for SNESMonitorResidual, but I'm being lazy.

  This is currently the way to go: should require 3 lines of code, create the binary
viewer, call SNESMonitorSet() and then destroy the viewer at the end. You
can make it one line of code by passing PETSC_BINARY_VIEWER_WORLD into the
the SNESMonitorSet() call.

  It would be nice to have a very generally solution to this, so one could
easily direct to many different types of viewers from the options database.
Maybe a rework of VecView_Private() code being used in conjunction with the
various -xxx_monitor_residual/solution/update options, for KSP, SNES and TS.
Do I have time to write it? Heck no, I don't even have time to read my email :-)

   Barry