PETSc support for second-order elements?

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 02:26:42 CDT 2007

1) The library is not mature. It is alpha. However, it is being used for
    several projects.

2) The PCICE reader is just an example. Other formats could be easily
     implemented.

3) I am not sure I understand your question about quadratic elements. We
    do support higher order elements (see the Tutorial on the website). This
    has nothing to do with geometry, and thus you would just read in a tet mesh.

On 6/11/07, Shi Jin <jinzishuai at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am learning the PETSc tools provided in the latest
> version to deal with unstructured grid. I realize that
> with functions such as
> MeshCreatePCICE(MeshCreatePyLith), we can load the
> mesh directly from files, in the PCICE (PyLith)
> format. This is really a great news for us.
>
> However, we need to use second order elements, for
> example, 10-node tetrahedra. I tried to load it with
> MeshCreatePCICE but it seems to me that second order
> elements are not yet supported. I've learned this from
> the PyLith website also.
>
> I want to ask is there a plan to support second order
> elements? Roughly when would it be available?
> Also if someone can comment on how mature the current
> unstructured mesh library is, I would greatly
> appreciate it.
>
> Thank you for your help.
> Shi

> http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail