PETSc support for second-order elements?

Shi Jin jinzishuai at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 23:04:10 CDT 2007

Hi there,

I am learning the PETSc tools provided in the latest
version to deal with unstructured grid. I realize that
with functions such as
MeshCreatePCICE(MeshCreatePyLith), we can load the
mesh directly from files, in the PCICE (PyLith)
format. This is really a great news for us.

However, we need to use second order elements, for
example, 10-node tetrahedra. I tried to load it with
MeshCreatePCICE but it seems to me that second order
elements are not yet supported. I've learned this from
the PyLith website also.

I want to ask is there a plan to support second order
elements? Roughly when would it be available?
Also if someone can comment on how mature the current
unstructured mesh library is, I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thank you for your help.
Shi