[petsc-dev] Using multiple mallocs with PETSc

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 04:41:47 CST 2017

On 10 March 2017 at 22:51, Jeff Hammond <jeff.science at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 9:09 AM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>

>> > On Mar 10, 2017, at 9:58 AM, Lisandro Dalcin <dalcinl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > On 10 March 2017 at 03:19, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> >     PetscMallocRegister(malloc,realloc,free,&basicmalloc);
>> >     PetscMallocRegister(PetscMallocDebug,PetscReallocDebug,Pets
>> cFreeDebug,&debugmalloc);
>> >     PetscMallocRegister(PetscMallocHBW,PetscReallocHBW,
>> PetscFreeHBW,&hbwmalloc);
>> >
>> > I'm wondering whether we should also handle calloc() here, and
>> implement PetscCalloc properly. As I understand it, calloc !=
>> malloc+memset, and the differences might be important in
>> multicore+multithreading scenarios and the first-touch policy.
>>

> My intuition is that any HPC code that benefits from mapping the zero page
> vs memset is doing something wrong.

I have the same feeling, but people will continue to use OpenMP no matter
how much you advocate against it.

--
Lisandro Dalcin

4700 King Abdullah University of Science and Technology
al-Khawarizmi Bldg (Bldg 1), Office # 0109
Thuwal 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
http://www.kaust.edu.sa

Office Phone: +966 12 808-0459