[petsc-dev] strangness in Chebyshev estimate of eigenvalues

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri May 27 11:07:21 CDT 2016

Mark Adams <mfadams at lbl.gov> writes:

>> Satish, please don't use this syntax for force pushes.  Prefer
>>
>>  git push origin +mark/snes-ex65c
>>

> 08:13 mark/snes-ex56c<> ~/Codes/petsc$ git push origin +mark/snes-ex65c
> error: src refspec mark/snes-ex65c does not match any.
> error: failed to push some refs to 'git at bitbucket.org:petsc/petsc.git'

Dyslexia in my instructions -- ex65 should be ex56.  The point is that
+branch syntax says to only force push a single branch while "git push
--force" can apply to other branches depending on git config/version.

> FYI, I then tried to pull (again) to remove this "<":
>
> 08:16 1 mark/snes-ex56c<> ~/Codes/petsc$ git pull origin mark/snes-ex56c
> From bitbucket.org:petsc/petsc
>  * branch            mark/snes-ex56c -> FETCH_HEAD
> Merge made by the 'recursive' strategy.

You need to get rid of this merge.  In fact, I think that in your role
using Git, you don't ever want automatic merges of this sort, so run

  git config --global pull.ff only