[petsc-dev] 'master' RESET after bad merge! - 'tisaac/thplex' was based on 'next'

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 06:05:36 CDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> > On Sep 2, 2014, at 8:46 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Matt, when you merged 'tisaac/thplex', you got thousands of merge
> >> commits to 'next' that should never be in 'master'.  I have reset
> >> 'master' to get it out of there (everything else that was in 'master' is
> >> there now).  This means that any recent topic branches will need to be
> >> rebased and any updated 'master' will need to be reset to
> >> 'origin/master'.  Fix 'master' first:
> >>
> >>  git fetch
> >>  git checkout master
> >>  git reset --hard origin/master
> >
> >    Jed, please is there a way to automate this. Relying on people
> >    getting to the second paragraph of an email and actually following
> >    the directions properly seems a pretty weak “software process”.
>
> This is never supposed to be necessary.  I think this is the first time
> and if Matt looks at his merges, we shouldn't ever need to do it
> again. ;-)

But this was my whole point in our process discussion. Tools should subtract
from what we have to worry about, not add to the cognitive load. We should
all be manually checking for less, not more. A good tool would prevent any
merges to master from a branch that was created from next. This seems like
the simplest requirement to me.

   Matt