[petsc-dev] 'master' RESET after bad merge! - 'tisaac/thplex' was based on 'next'

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Sep 2 22:36:00 CDT 2014

> On Sep 2, 2014, at 8:46 AM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:
>
>> Matt, when you merged 'tisaac/thplex', you got thousands of merge
>> commits to 'next' that should never be in 'master'.  I have reset
>> 'master' to get it out of there (everything else that was in 'master' is
>> there now).  This means that any recent topic branches will need to be
>> rebased and any updated 'master' will need to be reset to
>> 'origin/master'.  Fix 'master' first:
>>
>>  git fetch
>>  git checkout master
>>  git reset --hard origin/master
>
>    Jed, please is there a way to automate this. Relying on people
>    getting to the second paragraph of an email and actually following
>    the directions properly seems a pretty weak “software process”.

This is never supposed to be necessary.  I think this is the first time
and if Matt looks at his merges, we shouldn't ever need to do it
again. ;-)

>> To rebase a topic branch that was started in the last few days (after
>> 'tisaac/thplex' was merged; if you started before that merge, you don't
>> need to do anything),
>
>    How do I know if I started it before or after the tragic event?

  git log --grep tisaac/thplex

If your history contains the merge, you should rebase.

>> check it out, look through recent history to find
>
>    How do I check through the recent history?

git log

>> the commit on 'master' that you started from (NOT part of your work).
>> Suppose that commit is abcd1234.
>
>    How do I know what that commit is?

When you look at "git log", it will be the first commit that is not one
you wrote for your topic branch.