[petsc-dev] CFLAGS and COPTFLAGS

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Mon Jan 20 14:32:58 CST 2014

Sean Farley <sean.michael.farley at gmail.com> writes:
> There would have to a configurable subprefix, e.g. include/petsc-3.4,
> lib/petsc-3.4, etc. Though, it's not as big a deal to me.

If we include versions, people could put this in their makefiles:

CFLAGS := $(shell petsc-3.5-config --cflags)
LIBS := $(shell petsc-3.5-config --libs)

and users would not have to think about paths.  This would allow
distributions (and us) to ship binaries that install next to each other.
It's not the organization typically used on clusters, but it seems to me
that it would make distribution easier on personal/small machines.