[petsc-dev] ts_monitor_solution_vtk does not work when used with DMComposite

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Fri Feb 7 15:57:53 CST 2014

Mani Chandra <mc0710 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> The command line option -ts_monitor_solution_vtk filename-%03d.vts does not
> output anything when the DM used is a DMComposite. I checked that it works
> when used with a DMDA. Possible bug?

It has not been implemented.  Do you have multiple DMDAs?  The VTK
format doesn't compose well so it's nontrivial to write multiple parts.
(It could be done, but it would require several writing phases and
capturing a lot of intermediate state; it will take some careful coding
to implement and will be harder to understand.)  We either need to do
that or choose a different output format.