[petsc-dev] workflow diagram

Peter Brune prbrune at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 14:16:04 CDT 2014

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 1:16 PM, Jed Brown <jed at jedbrown.org> wrote:

> Peter Brune <prbrune at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Looks good.  Directionality on the interbranch features via arrowheads
> > might give it a bit more of a flow-like feel.
>
> Done.  (I think this is what you had in mind.)

Yep!

> > Lining up commits that are supposed to correspond and/or marking
> > merges in a particular way special might also make it prettier and
> > more intuitive.
>
> Merges are marked in a different color now.  How would you change that?
> (If it's hard to describe, maybe make a copy of the document and propose
> a change.)

I might beat 'em over the head with it.  Right now the color scheme is
explained in the legend, but color differentiation is still very much
branch-by-branch.  Having a big "M" in the middle of merge nodes to
differentiate them further is what I might do.  This might be predicated on
me being lazy with respect to reading the legend, but still I don't think
that I was any more lazy than the average reader who might not already know
our workflow. :) Other little formatting things I might do is vertically
align branch merges that span multiple integration branches (for instance,
the three merges from the bugfix branch).