[petsc-dev] PETSc repositories have been moved

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 12 15:57:40 CDT 2013

On 03/12/2013 03:48 PM, Barry Smith wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 3:42 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 12, 2013, at 2:52 PM, Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Richard,
>>>
>>> Jed and I set up detailed instructions on how to use Git and Mercurial:
>>> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/wiki/Home
>>
>> Note that both Karl and Jed know git very well, so these pages will pretty much suck for new users.
>>
>> I agree. That is why its important that its a Wiki.
>
> Because you perceive a Wiki as something that is very easy to change something in quickly.  I think in that sense
> Wikis are like PERL, it is very quick to put something together that looks powerful, but long term maintenance and
> general extension is impossible. Why not put all PETSc source code into the wiki then we can easily edit it without
> bothering with Emacs and shells?

In most systems, wikis are backed by a database*, so in practice there's little difference (with the added benefit that
a wiki gives you layout).

* - not sure about this in the case of bitbucket, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Also, I find that infographics here help a bunch, like
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/QuickReferenceCardsAndCheatSheets?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Mercurial-Usage-v1.0bz-300dpi-color.png.
  I looked a few days ago and couldn't find a good one for git.  Especially with the conventions described for petsc
(which all seem reasonable), I think such a graphic would really help, as it's easy to confuse next vs. master vs.
branches and the movement between them.

- tim

> I am fine with putting that stuff there in the short term, but how about in the longer term having it as a subtree
> (subrepo?) in the petsc/src/docs/  directory?
>
> Barry
>
>> I checked one thing in this morning.
>>
>> Matt
>>

>> Barry
>>

>>> In short, to get your changes merged back 'upstream', you still just need to send a pull request for petsc-hg on
>>> Bitbucket. :-)
>>>
>>> Best regards, Karli

>> -- What most experimenters take for granted before they begin their experiments is infinitely more interesting than
>> any results to which their experiments lead. -- Norbert Wiener

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.
             fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706