[petsc-dev] PETSc repositories have been moved

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Mar 12 15:48:57 CDT 2013

On Mar 12, 2013, at 3:42 PM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:30 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> On Mar 12, 2013, at 2:52 PM, Karl Rupp <rupp at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > Jed and I set up detailed instructions on how to use Git and Mercurial:
> > https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/wiki/Home
>
>   Note that both Karl and Jed know git very well, so these pages will pretty much suck for new users.
>
> I agree. That is why its important that its a Wiki.

   Because you perceive a Wiki as something that is very easy to change something in quickly.  I think in that sense Wikis are like PERL, it is very quick to put something together that looks powerful, but long term maintenance and general extension is impossible. Why not put all PETSc source code into the wiki then we can easily edit it without bothering with Emacs and shells?

   I am fine with putting that stuff there in the short term, but how about in the longer term having it as a subtree (subrepo?) in the petsc/src/docs/  directory?

   Barry