[petsc-dev] Deflated Krylov solvers for PETSc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 1 21:52:25 CST 2013

On Mar 1, 2013, at 9:40 PM, Jie Chen <jiechen at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> I think the number of deflation vectors should not be large. So the K_c here is a small matrix, and whether Y is dense or sparse does not make a big difference. In this regard, deflation is not exactly the same as one V-cycle. For multigrid, you coarsen a grid of size 1,000,000 to 500,000. But for deflation, you reduce 1,000,000 to 10 or 50. Make sense?

   This has always been the biggest puzzler for deflation. Say one has a 1 billion unknown linear system; simple elliptic problem so the eigenvalues are distributed between lambda_min and lambda_max with the ratio of lambda_max over lambda_min is pretty big. Now deflate out 50 eigenvalues, so what? how can deflating out 50 eigenvalues even if they are the most extreme really affect the convergence rate very much? It is 50 out of 1 billion. Seems too magical to be believable?

   Barry