[petsc-dev] Deflated Krylov solvers for PETSc

Jie Chen jiechen at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 1 23:39:39 CST 2013

Sometimes the convergence rate that is calculated based on the ratio between lambda_max and lambda_min is rather pessimistic. The distribution of eigenvalues plays a critical role in convergence. The common argument for the effectiveness of eigenvector deflation is that "a few extreme eigenvalues (usually the smallest ones in magnitude) hamper the convergence so deflating them is helpful." This does not sound clear enough to me, either. But I did have an experience where after a preconditioner is applied, the spectrum of the matrix is clustered, except for a few extreme eigenvalues. Deflating them significantly improves the convergence of CG. So I think the real magic is not about "50 out of 1 billion", but rather, about how the spectrum of the matrix changes when you combine deflation with preconditioning.

Jie