[petsc-dev] Deflated Krylov solvers for PETSc

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 1 15:07:23 CST 2013

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 10:57 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    Jie,
>
>    Thanks.  How does one add a "regular" preconditioner to the deflation
> approach?

I think the most common deflation approach is to use estimates of the most
global eigenvectors. Those are dense, so we can construct the coarse
operator as

K_c = Y^T * (P^{-1} A) * Y

without further ado. If subdomains aggregates are used for the deflation
vectors Y, then we'd really like to exploit their sparsity. We would seem
to want preconditioner application to a special sort of sparse matrix.