[petsc-dev] ABI-compatible debug and optimized builds

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 08:10:54 CDT 2013

I need help to review branch dalcinl/libpetsc-abi (commit:
https://bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc/commits/76386721e3709eb5a31652ea1c49d335fd2963a2)

With this change, abi-compliance-checker runs cleanly.

$ abi-compliance-checker -l libpetsc -o
arch-linux2-c-debug/lib/libpetsc.so -n
arch-linux2-c-opt/lib/libpetsc.so
WARNING: setting 1st version number to "2" (use -v1 option to change it)
WARNING: setting 2nd version number to "2" (use -v2 option to change it)
preparation, please wait ...
WARNING: comparing shared libraries only
Using GCC 4.7.2 (x86_64-redhat-linux)
comparing ABIs ...
comparing APIs ...
creating compatibility report ...
result: COMPATIBLE
total "Binary" compatibility problems: 0, warnings: 0
total "Source" compatibility problems: 0, warnings: 0
see detailed report:
  compat_reports/libpetsc/2_to_2/compat_report.html

I can run testexamples both ways with LD_PRELOAD

$ LD_PRELOAD=$PWD/arch-linux2-c-opt/lib/libpetsc.so make
PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-debug testexamples

$ LD_PRELOAD=$PWD/arch-linux2-c-debug/lib/libpetsc.so make
PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux2-c-opt testexamples

PS: This branch show be merged to "maint", but we really need to test
it in "next" before that. How should I make the pull request?

--
Lisandro Dalcin