[petsc-dev] ugliness due to missing lapack routines

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 7 23:39:00 CST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 11:33 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>  Fine. It is a new language, actually it is python code that marches
> through ASTs and modifies them but you can call it a new language.  But the
> C is still C! It is not C plus "key words" or "imbedded comments" it is
> always just plan C that is being programmed ON (by the new language).

But it's not just C because the source code includes the python that is
modifying it. After all, for almost any given outcome you desire, you'll
have a choice between implementing it in C, implementing it by enhancing
the python, or some combination of the two. The semantics sure aren't
completely defined by the *.c files any more.

I fear you'll end up constantly tweaking the Python, occasionally needing
to change semantics there, which will break a lot of your existing "C" (not
C because it was written so that the generator would manipulate it in a
desirable way).