[petsc-dev] Pushing non-working code

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 11:31:05 CST 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Its more work for me. Clearly you are asking me to do something I do not
>> currently do. A loss.
>>

> How is _not typing 'hg merge' or 'hg pull'_ harder than typing it? Do your
> work in a bookmark and merge it when it's ready for review. It's not a hard
> concept.

It is clearly more work.

>>>  There are no "gains" from a baseline. This is
>>>>

>>> I provided a long list of justifications that you have not responded to.
>>> There is a great deal of empirical evidence to back my claims.
>>>

>> I have responded to each and every point carefully. You need to listen.
>

> You have not said anything about reviewability, actual bug rates,
> extensibility, ability to recognize distinct features in the history, or
> realized and perceived stability and lack of spurious warnings when users
> pull petsc-dev.

Reviewability: I have responded that a) you are reviewing at the wrong
time, and b) your second example was a perfectly reviewable checkin which
resulted in an easy fix.

Actual bug rates:  you have not offered any evidence here, so my assertion
is that they do not decrease

Extensibility: Your assertion is that extensibility benefits from code
review. I agree. You are reviewing at the wrong time. Code reviews
should be organized, not carried out after every checkin.

Ability to recognize distinct features in history: I do not think this is
worth preserving at the cost of a lot more process. This is the linux model
where everything is smoothed out into a series of clean patches. We have
explicitly chosen not to do this. It obscures the actual development
process and I am not convinced it is as useful here as they claim in the
kernel.

Warnings: I did respond to that, so its not worth repeating here.