[petsc-dev] Notification: Fwd: You have hereby been granted admin access to jedbrown/petsc-dev.

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Nov 16 15:28:31 CST 2012

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Dmitry Karpeev wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> > thing in
> > > >

> > > If we used hg subrepo, each PETSc version would reference a SHA1 from
> > > buildsystem. Then we could just have buildsystem. When a patch needed to
> > go
> > > into "buildsystem-release", we would apply the patch to the buildsystem
> > > version that release depends on and update petsc-release to reference
> > that
> > > SHA1, independent of the existence of post-release patches (only relevant
> > > to petsc-dev) in the buildsystem repository.
> >
> > And the next step is to just have 'petsc' and 'buildsystem' repos [no
> > petsc-release] to fix a different inconsistancy [1 for buildsystem, 2
> > for petsc-dev]
> >
> +1

The complexity of this workflow is:

- should be comfortable with having multiple heads [atleast briefly -
if the history is to be similar to currrent workflow]

- be able to work with revs other than heads - I guess managed with
bookmarks [and commit changes] to such revs and keep switching back
and forth [between tip, bookmarks etc..]. And make sure everyone uses
latest mercurial - otherwise 'hg bookmark' behavior could be
different.

Its doable as long as folks are ok with the model.

Personally I'm more comfortable with 'a seperate repo to represent
each branch' and thats what I had been doing at petsc.cs.iit.edu [but
now I'm ok with a single petsc-release repo - as long as Jed handles
the case of simultaneous commits to multiple releases :)]

Satish