[petsc-dev] Fwd: [mumps-dev] support for distributed right-hand vectors?

Jack Poulson jack.poulson at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 07:11:04 CST 2012

I can't help but interject. Sparse direct solvers are not nonscalable "in
general". General purpose solvers have to worry about pivoting, which
greatly complicates the factorization and tends to get in the way of
scalability. Several sparse-direct solvers use one-dimensional frontal
distributions (e.g., MUMPS and SPOOLES) in order to simplify pivoting,
though MUMPS uses a two-dimensional distribution at the root front.

It is well-known how to make multifrontal Cholesky factorization scalable
(for example, see one of the many papers by Gupta/Karypis/Kumar/Joshi from
the 90's). Making multifrontal triangular solves scalable is another matter.

Jack