[petsc-dev] Patches like this make me want to cry

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:37:31 CDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM, Paul Mullowney <paulm at txcorp.com> wrote:
>
>> VecTransplantPlaceArray
>>
>>  http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/**petsc-dev/rev/d2f118b395b2<http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/petsc-dev/rev/d2f118b395b2>
>>>
>>> This thing is way too big to review, includes huge swaths of
>>> commented-out code, breaks coding conventions and portability, and
>>> introduces strange new APIs (like VecTransplantPlaceArray) that haven't
>>> really been explained and seem to produce questionable semantics.
>>>

>>>  Why is the non-portable?
>

> It assumes C99 to begin with.

Barry has yelled at many people, including me, about // comments and
declarations in the middle of a block.
Being able to push means LISTENING when these things happen on the mailing
list.

> I asked for your input on this 2 days ago?
>

> Sorry, I'm at a conference, finishing a proposal, and trying to make
> progress on my research. I was hoping someone else would comment because I
> think it's leaking implementation details.
>
> Also, you didn't provide the whole patch series to comment on, just some
> bits of code.

There are essentially no comments on this massive push. I was just reading
it, getting mad. Jed mailed first.
Pushes need enough comments that I can see exactly what functionality is
being added and how it works.
You will not be the maintainer of this functionality, we will. If we can't
do it, it will be thrown out, and all your
time will be wasted.

   Matt