[petsc-dev] API changes in MatIS

Stefano Zampini stefano.zampini at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 09:11:50 CDT 2012

2012/6/11 Jed Brown <jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov>

> The problem is that you can't factor the subdomain problem directly
> because it is singular. So you either copy it into a bigger matrix (with
> Lagrange multipliers) or extract a submatrix (by dropping vertices).

In my experience, a singular subdomain matrix does not constitute a real
problem if you use 0 as tolerance for zero pivots to avoid PETSc errors
(zero pivot detection) at runtime ( I always use UMFPACK or SuperLU
solvers; even the PETSc solver do the right job). For FETI and NN, if you
design a coarse space in the right way, you can always solve for the local
problems (at least for the problems I faced). The solution will have a
nonzero component on the kernel of the local matrix, but this will be
uneffective for the convergence of the global problem.

If I assemble a matrix with selected vertices, I can factor it and solve
> the constrained problems without needing to refactor.
>
> The case with no selected vertices could be a special case, and worked
> with exactly like MatIS is now.

thus the Mat should have a public flag indicating Assembly or not at
preselected vertices during MatAssembly?

--
Stefano