[petsc-dev] -pc_type gamg for vector PDE

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 19 16:37:56 CST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 08:22, Alexander Grayver <agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de>wrote:

> Hello petsc team,
>
> I solve 3D vector Helmholtz equation like following:
>
> \nabla \times \nabla \times E + i\omega\mu\sigma E  = -J

Multigrid methods for curl-curl problems are pretty specialized. ML and
Hypre have support for specific discretizations, I don't know if they
support an imaginary shift. The PETSc interface to these packages does not
currently support their special Maxwell interfaces.

The methods are generally based on edge relaxation or auxiliary space
preconditioning, see Hiptmair or Arnold, Falk, and Winther for the
mathematical background.