[petsc-dev] -pc_type gamg for vector PDE

Alexander Grayver agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Jan 18 08:22:36 CST 2012

Hello petsc team,

I solve 3D vector Helmholtz equation like following:

\nabla \times \nabla \times E + i\omega\mu\sigma E  = -J

I use structured staggered grid and FD. The solution is a vector that
consists of three parts E = {Ex Ey Ez}. The operator is symmetric matrix
with complex numbers on diagonal.
I'm interested in solving this system with iterative techniques. I
applied newly presented gamg and it gives promising results, but all I
did is just:
-ksp_type tfqmr -pc_type gamg

I played with different ksp_type and gamg options which are listed on
PCGAMG doc page, but nothing improved convergence.
Could you please guide me a bit through usage of this technique?
The precise questions are:
1. Do I have to do something to say petsc that my equation is a vector
equation? Is it important for gamg pc?
2. Should I take into account null-space using KSPSetNullSpace? Since it
is well known that as \omega or \sigma get small, null-space of
geometric term (curl curl operator) starts to dominate and system gets
more ill-conditioned.
3. Which options for gamg may improve convergence in my case?

Thanks a lot in advance.

--
Regards,
Alexander