[petsc-dev] please make myself and Satish admin on bitbucket.org/petsc

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Feb 11 09:17:47 CST 2012

Trying out bitbucket - noticed one more thing.

premise: We need multiple repos  and multiple admins

This looks difficult to implement [without admins sharing 'petsc'
passwd - and doing everything as the owner - which sean/barray are
trying out now].

Single repo - multiple admins is fine. multiple repos with a single
'owner/admin' is fine.

With multiple repos  we want

reposGroupA - access-control-list-A
reposGroupB - access-control-list-B

[do this either in 1 account or 2 accounts - doesn't matter]

To have a common access control list for a group of repos - 'user
group' appears to be the thing to use [as we have to set access-list
for each repo separately]. However this is not easy to admin:

- user 'petsc' can create a group [petsc:groupA]
- admin 'balay' can't modify this group [if he need to add another person]
- admin 'balay can't look at the contents of [petsc:groupA] - to see who
  is in it and who is not.
- however amdin 'balay' can create a new group [balay:groupB] - and
add this to the access control list

So we can set the accesscontrol list to repos petsc/petsc,
petsc/buildsystem to be the following - but one will not know [without
e-mail commuication] the complete list of folks in these groups.

petsc:groupA balay:groupB bsmith:groupC

This might work - We can ignore duplicate users across groups and keep
adding users in the the personal groups - when in doubt. But deleting
users will be combersome.

So project admintration [with multiple admins] is not as simple as it
appeared before..

Satish