[petsc-dev] please make myself and Satish admin on bitbucket.org/petsc

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 10 18:48:21 CST 2012

>  Not true. Make a clone of bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc.bitbucket.org make a
> change to it and try to push, you cannot. You need to send email to Sean
> asking him for write permission to that repository.  So cannot access
> repositories in petsc that Sean has not explicitly given me access to.

Not quite true. If I set up a group (which I just did) they will inherit
default access rights on newly created repos:

https://bitbucket.org/petsc/test-for-groups

> Or try
> bsmith-laptop:Src barrysmith$ hg clone joe ssh://bitbucket.org/petsc/joe
> running ssh bitbucket.org "hg init petsc/joe"
> The authenticity of host 'bitbucket.org (207.223.240.182)' can't be
> established.
> RSA key fingerprint is 97:8c:1b:f2:6f:14:6b:5c:3b:ec:aa:46:46:74:7c:40.
> Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
> Warning: Permanently added 'bitbucket.org,207.223.240.182' (RSA) to the
> list of known hosts.
> Permission denied (publickey).
> abort: could not create remote repo!
> So cannot make new repositories in petsc, again need to ask Sean to do it
> for me.

This is true. Either shared password or OpenID.

> Interestingly both of these things work fine and out of the box on
> petsc.cs.itt.edu

Not true. You just didn't have to deal with the behind-the-scenes work that
Satish did.

> This is why we didn't just blindly switch to bitbucket the other night.
> Lots of things need to be worked out before we can switch.

Ok.

> It also appears that if Sean makes it so multiple ones of us can log into
> the petsc account on bitbucket there will be no record of who made what
> changes, it will behave like an old fashioned and frowned upon shared
> account.

Exactly the same on petsc.cs.iit.edu. Who created the petsc-dev repo? The
only thing you can see is the mercurial history.