[petsc-dev] please make myself and Satish admin on bitbucket.org/petsc

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 10 19:30:50 CST 2012

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2012, Sean Farley wrote:
>

> > > The point is that that permission is on a repository by repository bases,
> > > so every time Sean (who is the only one who can do it) adds a repository he
> > > has to remember to set the permissions for all of us.
> >

> > Not true. You can log in and create a repository now. This is the same as
> > how petsc.cs.iit.edu works except that you can log in using an SSH key
> > under the 'petsc' username. So, store the password in your keychain ==
> > asking Satish to add your ssh key to /home/petsc/.ssh/authorized_keys.
>
> Barry is refering to repository creation - and you are refering to
> project creation. Not the same..
>
> With petsc.cs.iit.edu - yes I have to create a project manually and
> assemble the group and admin/s . But with bitbucket - you can create
> your own account [ala project] and assemble your own group - aswell as
> set admins.

minor modification:

with petsc.cs.iit.edu I create the project - and set the initial
admin/s.  They can login and set the group as needed.

But usually I'm also the admin as most folks didn't want to deal with
the admin part - it was easier to just tell me what was needed.  [its
usually manually editing authorized keys file]

I'll concede that the gui admin for bitbucket is perhaps
better. [instead of logging in shell - you log-into a website and use
the gui].

One good aspect of bitbucket thats not on petsc.cs.iit.edu is: If a
user exists in multiple projects - the keys are duplicated manually
for each project account on petsc.cs.iit.edu. However bitbucket
maintains a single copy and uses it across all projects.

Since the number of projects was relatively small - the lack of this
functionality wasn't a big deal..

Satish