[petsc-dev] please make myself and Satish admin on bitbucket.org/petsc

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 10 18:58:31 CST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 6:48 PM, Sean Farley wrote:

>  Not true. Make a clone of bitbucket.org/petsc/petsc.bitbucket.org make a change to it and try to push, you cannot. You need to send email to Sean asking him for write permission to that repository.  So cannot access repositories in petsc that Sean has not explicitly given me access to.
>
> Not quite true. If I set up a group (which I just did) they will inherit default access rights on newly created repos:
>
> https://bitbucket.org/petsc/test-for-groups

   Cool, that works. A start in the right direction.

  So set up my access with openid. My account is bsmith at mcs.anl.gov  do it this minute while I cook dinner. Don't wait until we are both at the lab at the same time. Satish can add someone while they are at dinner, why can't bitbucket.

> Interestingly both of these things work fine and out of the box on petsc.cs.itt.edu
>
> Not true. You just didn't have to deal with the behind-the-scenes work that Satish did.

   BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT. You and I as regular users can clone and create new repositories in petsc on petsc.cs. 50 times a day and we don't need to involve Satish at all. And when we add a new one we can all use it immediately without

> This is why we didn't just blindly switch to bitbucket the other night. Lots of things need to be worked out before we can switch.
>
> Ok.
>
> It also appears that if Sean makes it so multiple ones of us can log into the petsc account on bitbucket there will be no record of who made what changes, it will behave like an old fashioned and frowned upon shared account.
>
> Exactly the same on petsc.cs.iit.edu. Who created the petsc-dev repo? The only thing you can see is the mercurial history.

   One expects a "great" repository site to do better than our hacked up trash, turns out it cannot do better.