[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 9 22:19:00 CST 2012

   I know what we'll do. We'll imbed the directory name and the subdirectory name into the name of the repository:

externalpackages_Chaco-2.2
tutorials_ACTS07

  Wait a minute, someone who doesn't know about directories already did that:

dft	Density Functional Theory solver for Ion Channels	petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov	Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:05:00 -0600	gz	RSS Atom
dft-fft	unknown	unknown	Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:49:50 -0600		RSS Atom
dft-log	Density Functional Theory solver for Ion Channels in Logarithmic Variables	petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov	Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:31:52 -0600	gz	RSS Atom
dft-mg	Density Functional Theory solver for Ion Channels with Grid Sequencing	petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov	Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:15:07 -0600	gz	RSS Atom
dft-rfd	Density Functional Theory solver for Ion Channels with Advanced Electrostatics	petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov	Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:56:52 -0600

Come on guys, it is completely moronic that bitbucket doesn't support subdirectories to hold repositories. No amount of rationalization can provide a reason for this absurdity.

Some of Jed's rationalizations are going off the deep end.

* In order to not have a Releases directory he states: "I think separate clones for every release is clutter."
* "Bitbucket's normal repository summary has space for this bit of text. It doesn't specifically have tags or automatic suggestions of repositories that might be related (but are not forks). I think the summary is good enough."

Face it, bitbucket has this really stupid feature. I see no upside to bitbucket and hence I only see a downside, so why change? Except Sean doesn't want to drag his ass over to IIT twice a year and people want to  use buggy wireless networks.

Tell me the real reason you want to use bitbucket.

  Barry