[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 9 22:37:10 CST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 22:19, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> dft     Density Functional Theory solver for Ion Channels
> petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov Thu, 28 Jul 2011 15:05:00 -0600 gz      RSS Atom
> dft-fft unknown unknown Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:49:50 -0600         RSS Atom
> dft-log Density Functional Theory solver for Ion Channels in Logarithmic
> Variables      petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:31:52 -0600 gz
>      RSS Atom
> dft-mg  Density Functional Theory solver for Ion Channels with Grid
> Sequencing  petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:15:07 -0600 gz
>    RSS Atom
> dft-rfd Density Functional Theory solver for Ion Channels with Advanced
> Electrostatics  petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov Thu, 22 Dec 2011 13:56:52 -0600

If you name it dft/log instead, then when you clone it, you get a directory
called "log".

> Come on guys, it is completely moronic that bitbucket doesn't support
> subdirectories to hold repositories. No amount of rationalization can
> provide a reason for this absurdity.
>
> Some of Jed's rationalizations are going off the deep end.
>
> * In order to not have a Releases directory he states: "I think separate
> clones for every release is clutter."

I think we should get rid of this thing called libraries? Who wants to
share code anyway. We should just copy the source code of libc (and MPI,
etc) into our packages. Since we won't be modifying the upstream source,
it'll be easy to copy in a new version when they release one.

Okay, I'm being silly now, but why do you want a sequence of separate
clones, each of which is a strict subset of the last?