[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Sean Farley sean at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 9 20:41:12 CST 2012

> Hg named branches are kind of screwy and bookmarks (which are less screwy)
> are still an "extension"

This is true. Named branches are directly inherited from older versioning
systems (cvs, svn, etc.). After 2.0 Matt Mackall was convinced that
bookmarks so be completely analgous to git's branching:

$ hg branch foo
marked working directory as branch foo
(branches are permanent and global, did you want a bookmark?)

Mercurial 2.1 includes fixes that move and update bookmarks automatically
(and also allow pulling divergent bookmarks: foo at 1, foo at 2)

so it makes sense to have separate clones to use for release management.
> But these releases get merged back, so just tagging them would place the
> tarball in the right place.

Righto.

> But PETSc release tarballs include generated documentation, so using
> bitbucket's auto-generated tag-tarballs is not enough for releases.

Ah, that's right. I think this could be fixed by using the tag info in the
scripts that generate the documentation.