[petsc-dev] petsc-dev on bitbucket

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 9 20:32:21 CST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 20:26, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> tags are no good. we implrement branches in different clones.
>
> You could argue that we should throw away branches in clones have all
> clones in a single branch - and change our workflow.
>
> But I think this will be too confusing to most of us [yeah you could
> change your bash prompt to always indicate wich branch you are on -
> wich is equivalent to 'cd different clone' - but not all of us are
> that sophisticated]

Hg named branches are kind of screwy and bookmarks (which are less screwy)
are still an "extension", so it makes sense to have separate clones to use
for release management. But these releases get merged back, so just tagging
them would place the tarball in the right place.

But PETSc release tarballs include generated documentation, so using
bitbucket's auto-generated tag-tarballs is not enough for releases.