[petsc-dev] Building PETSc with PGI Compilers

Dave Nystrom dnystrom1 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 22 22:18:58 CST 2011

I'm trying to build PETSc using the PGI Workstation compilers i.e. pgcc, pgCC
and pgfortran.  So I modified my PETSc build script by adding the following
two comfigure options:

--with-gnu-compilers=0 --with-vendor-compilers=pgi

I'm starting out with a somewhat minimal set of external packages first but
configure failed because it said it could not find a valid C compiler.  Is
the above the right way to try to build petsc-dev using the PGI compilers or
is there a better way to try and do that.

I want to try building PETSc with the PGI compilers so I can use vendor blas
with the external direct solver packages.  I'm also interested in seeing what
difference PETSc in general would see in performance for PGI versus GNU.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this is the best way to try building PETSc with PGI
compilers and would appreciate any advice about how to do so.  The PGI
compilers are in my execution path.

Thanks,

Dave