[petsc-dev] Building PETSc with PGI Compilers

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Dec 22 22:43:52 CST 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 22:18, Dave Nystrom <dnystrom1 at comcast.net> wrote:

> --with-gnu-compilers=0 --with-vendor-compilers=pgi

--with-vendor-compilers=portland

just instructs BuildSystem to look for pgcc. You might be better off
specifying the path of the specific compiler you want to use:

CFLAGS=/path/to/pgcc

> I want to try building PETSc with the PGI compilers so I can use vendor
> blas
> with the external direct solver packages.

This should definitely not be necessary. You should be able to link vendor
BLAS with any compiler.

>  I'm also interested in seeing what
> difference PETSc in general would see in performance for PGI versus GNU.

I have always found PGI to be a waste of time.