[petsc-dev] problem with sub autoconf builds using badly set environmental variables

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 11 15:27:16 CST 2010

    If some imbecile has, say FC, set to something and then runs
PETSc's ./configure using --with-fc=somethingelse then autoconf ./
configures started by PETSc (for example --download-mpich)  will use
the environmental variable instead and thus have incompatible
compilers and a mess impossible to debug.

    Satish, can we have PETSc's config/configure.py STOP if any of the
those dangerous variables are set and tell the user to get rid of them
before running ./configure to prevent this problem and our wasted time
on petsc-maint's?

    Thanks

     Barry

Begin forwarded message: