[petsc-dev] problem with sub autoconf builds using badly set environmental variables

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jan 11 15:37:36 CST 2010

Looks like current configure already had this warning.

      if 'CC' in os.environ and os.environ['CC'] == self.framework.argDB['CC']:
        self.logPrintBox('\n*****WARNING: Using C compiler '+self.framework.argDB['CC']+' from environmental variable CC****\nAre you sure this is what you want? If not, unset that environmental variable and run configure again')
<<<

I think we force compilers on command line to most packages - so env
should never get used. [if they do - then we should supply more
options to that package-configure from petsc-configure.

MPICH configure needs 2 args for fortran [one for f77 and the other
for f90] - and this old petsc provided only one -[so perhaps mpich
configure was guessing the other one - hence the incompatibility].

Regarding the ENV stuff - this old PETSc was passing args to MPICH
configure via env variables [which we rectified in subsequent petsc
releases]. So the primary issue here is the usage of old petsc
version.

Satish