Why did you removed PETSC_ARCH_NAME variable in makefiles?

Jose E. Roman jroman at dsic.upv.es
Thu Nov 26 12:21:47 CST 2009

On 26/11/2009, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Jose E. Roman <jroman at dsic.upv.es>
> wrote:
>>>
>> We fixed slepc-dev so that PETSC_ARCH_NAME is not required anymore.
>>

> Jose, could you elaborate a bit what would the rules be now for SLEPc?
> Building SLEPc with a prefix build of PETSc will require SLEPc's
> configure to also pass explicitly a--prefix and do "make install"
> after the build?
>
> I still have to figure out how to make both models (I mean, prefix vs.
> multi-arch) builds work in the case of petsc4py/slepc4py and their
> dependencies on themselves and with core PETSc/SLEPc...

SLEPc can be setup with or without prefix, irrespective of whether
PETSc is prefixed or not.

Since we need a PETSC_ARCH, one could set an arbitrary value of
PETSC_ARCH, then configure (with or without prefix)+make+(make install).

If the user does not set PETSC_ARCH, then SLEPc's configure will tell
the user to set PETSC_ARCH=unknown before invoking make.

Jose