Why did you removed PETSC_ARCH_NAME variable in makefiles?

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 12:00:26 CST 2009

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Jose E. Roman <jroman at dsic.upv.es> wrote:

> On 25/11/2009, Barry Smith wrote:
>
>> Why does SLEPc's configure.py need to know PETSC_ARCH? PETSC_ARCH is a
>> just a string that the user made up; in the --prefix case it means nothing
>> at all and has no information associated with it.
>>
>> If you are installing a SLEPC based on a --prefix install of PETSc, you
>> can just make up any PETSC_ARCH and use it doing your ./configure and make.
>> If you are also doing a --prefix for SLEPC (which is likely when PETSc was
>> done with --prefix) then once you have done make install the need for that
>> PETSC_ARCH is gone. If you are not doing a --prefix for SLEPc then that
>> PETSC_ARCH is what the user will need to use when they use the SLEPc. Does
>> this not work for some reason?
>>

>>  Barry
>
> We fixed slepc-dev so that PETSC_ARCH_NAME is not required anymore.

Jose, could you elaborate a bit what would the rules be now for SLEPc?
 Building SLEPc with a prefix build of PETSc will require SLEPc's
configure to also pass explicitly a--prefix and do "make install"
after the build?

I still have to figure out how to make both models (I mean, prefix vs.
multi-arch) builds work in the case of petsc4py/slepc4py and their
dependencies on themselves and with core PETSc/SLEPc...

--
Lisandro Dalcín