about viewer formats

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 3 13:44:47 CST 2008

On Nov 3, 2008, at 1:36 PM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 2:34 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>
> wrote:
>>
>>  Done and pushed.
>
> OK. Many thanks,
>

>> I guess at one time we had it in our heads that NO format names
>> would be
>> shared among different
>> viewers, but now I don't see why some basic ones cannot be shared.
>
> BTW, Does it make sense to require the type_name being already set (I
> mean, using the PetscValidType macro) before setting the format?

   Hmm, it will likely get overwritten by the PetscViewerCreate_XXX()
and
hence be ignored and thus confusing to users. Thus for user friendlyness
maybe we should not allow early setting.

    Looking at a few of the PetscViewerCreate_XXX() I see that we are
inconsistent
in setting the viewer->format or not. This is bad, we should either
always set
it, or never set it (and only have it set in the
PetscViewerCreate()).????
Will you change the code to always set it in each
PetscViewerCreate_XXX()
please?

   Barry