FW: pnetcdf test/DRY RUN Error in wrf simulation

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jun 4 08:58:48 CDT 2014

On 06/04/2014 01:55 AM, BasitAli Khan wrote:
> Hi there,
> I sent you the following email a a weak ago regarding pnetcdf  make
> check  errors, but did not get response. I used this pnetcdf to compile
> netCDF library 4.1.2. The pnetcdf was successfully linked and netCDF was
> successfully compiled. I ran a WRF simulation which also was completed
> successfully, however, the log file rsl.out.0000 (attached ) has several
> (DRY RUN) errors that are originating from pnetCDF. I am wondering what
> these errors are and would they be affecting my simulation in anyway?
>
> Thanks in advance and please do REPLY this email.

Hello! sorry for the oversight.  Here is my (list-only) reply from last
week:

http://lists.mcs.anl.gov/pipermail/parallel-netcdf/2014-May/001574.html

Thanks for subscribing to the mailing list.

There are folks using pnetcdf and WRF on Blue Gene.  I don't know the
details, but it apparently is possible.  I think we can get you
straightened out.

When you see errors like this:

/bin/sh: line 1:  6418 Illegal instruction     ./nc_test -c -d .

it means you are running back-end code on the login nodes.  Blue Gene is
a cross-compile environment: compute node codes cannot run on the login
nodes.  (well, technically they can... until they make a system call)

what does line 2403 of wrf_io.f90 look like?

==rob

> Best regards,
> b:)
> ----
>
> Basit A. Khan, Ph.D.
>
> Postdoctoral Research Fellow
>
> Division of Physical Sciences & Engineering
>
> Office# 3204, Level 3, Building 1,
>
> King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
>
> 4700 King Abdullah Blvd, Box 2753, Thuwal 23955 –6900,
>
> Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
>
> Office: +966(0)12 808 0276,  Mobile: +966(0)5 0860 3617
>
> E-mail: basitali.khan at kaust.edu.sa <mailto:basitali.khan at kaust.edu.sa>
>
> Skype name: basit.a.khan
>
> From: KAUST <basitali.khan at kaust.edu.sa <mailto:basitali.khan at kaust.edu.sa>>
> Date: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:05 PM
> To: "parallel-netcdf at mcs.anl.gov <mailto:parallel-netcdf at mcs.anl.gov>"
> <parallel-netcdf at mcs.anl.gov <mailto:parallel-netcdf at mcs.anl.gov>>
> Subject: pnetcdf test
>
> Hi there,
> I am new to pnetcdf. I want to compile it for faster IO  of WRF model on
> our bluegeneP with Linux RedHat 10 on it. I apparently successfully
> installed the latest version of pnetcdf 1.4.1, however when i run  'make
> testing', i got few errors (log file attached).  I would greatly
> appreciate if you could have a look and advise where i am going wrong.
>
> The compilation of parallel netcdf created 4 directories. The contents
> of these dir are as follows:
>
> /lib/libpnetcdf.a
> /include/pnetcdf.h  pnetcdf.inc  pnetcdf.mod
> /bin/ncmpidiff  ncmpidump  ncmpigen  ncmpivalid
> /man/man1/ncmpidiff.1  ncmpidump.1  ncmpigen.1  ncmpivalid.1
> /man/man3/pnetcdf.3  pnetcdf_f77.3  pnetcdf_f90.3
>

> Another question is that, do i have to do anything special to use it
> with WRF?
>
> Thanks in advance and best regards,
>

> b:)
> ----
>
> Basit A. Khan, Ph.D.
>
> Postdoctoral Research Fellow
>
> Division of Physical Sciences & Engineering
>
> Office# 3204, Level 3, Building 1,
>
> King Abdullah University of Science & Technology
>
> 4700 King Abdullah Blvd, Box 2753, Thuwal 23955 –6900,
>
> Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
>
> Office: +966(0)12 808 0276,  Mobile: +966(0)5 0860 3617
>
> E-mail: basitali.khan at kaust.edu.sa <mailto:basitali.khan at kaust.edu.sa>
>
> Skype name: basit.a.khan

> This message and its contents including attachments are intended solely
> for the original recipient. If you are not the intended recipient or
> have received this message in error, please notify me immediately and
> distribution is prohibited. Please consider the environment before
> printing this email.

Argonne National Lab, IL USA