test release: parallel-netcdf 1.3.0pre1

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Apr 23 16:42:08 CDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 03:38:06PM -0600, Jim Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Rob Latham <robl at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 03:07:33PM -0600, Jim Edwards wrote:
> > > Oh - and just to confirm - the async capabilities of pnetcdf (eg
> > > nfmpi_iput_ ) are not supported
> > > on BGL and BGP - how about BGQ?
> >
> > Sure, let's clarify a bit.  The interface should be supported: IBM's
> > MPI supports the necessary MPI-2 features.   The API allows you to
> > describe multiple operations, then when you wait for completion those
> > operations will get stitched together into one bigger more efficient
> > request.
> >
> > I do mean non-blocking and when I build on frost I get the following
> message:
>
> checking if MPI_Offset is size 8... yes
> checking if MPI_Aint is size 8... no
> checking if MPI_Aint is size 4... yes
> checking for MPI_Info_dup... yes
> checking for MPI_Info_free... yes
> checking for MPI_Get_address... yes
> checking for MPI_Request_get_status... yes
> checking for MPI_Type_dup... yes
> configure: WARNING: MPI_Offset and MPI_Aint have different sizes: unable to
> support non-blocking routines

Oh, crud.

OK, thanks for reminding me about that.  Yes, on BlueGene/L, the MPI
library has a 4 byte MPI_Aint and an 8 byte MPI_Offset.  We got IBM to
implement 8 byte MPI_Aint types on BlueGene/P, but clearly that never
made its way to BlueGene/L's version.

The iput/iget routines do work on BlueGene/P.

Argonne National Lab, IL USA